Monday, September 05, 2011

Clinique All About Eyes

Today I'll be reviewing Clinique's All About Eyes eye cream which according to the Sephora website, "brightens dark circles and sends puffs packing while actually helping to hold eye makeup in place. For use morning and night, both under eyes and on lids."  I got this in a mini sample jar last November when I had bought a bunch of skincare and makeup products with my mom and have been using it on and off ever since. The jar was similar in size to Clinique's Brush-On Cream Liner, so I did get a decent amount of product to try out for the first time.




Now I wanted to start off by talking about the texture as that was the best feature about this particular eye cream; the forumlation is described as a "lightweight", "cream-gel" formulation which is exactly what it feels like on the skin. I have very sensitive and relatively thin skin on both my eyelids as well as under the eyes but when I applied this cream for the first time, my skin felt like silk. It feels like your skin is being pampered and despite feeling very luxurious, it doesn't feel heavy whatsoever around the eye area. If I had to compare its texture to another beauty product, NARS' Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base would be a close contender since the All About Eyes is still lighter but also leaves quite a "damp" feeling on the skin. It gives a very "dewy" look when I applied it under the eyes and that lingers for some time so I wouldn't recommend putting makeup immediately after applying the cream. When I tried to apply my under eye concealer, the product slipped around since the eye cream forms a silky "layer" on your skin.  Now since I'm on the subject of texture, I wanted to quickly discuss another brilliant use of this eye cream which is a "blush primer". I've used my M.A.C. Pinch Me blush as well as my Bobbi Brown Pot Rouges on top of this eye cream. Applying powder blush on my dry skin especially around my cheeks and mouth (particularly during our Canadian winters ) would result in the blush "catching" onto the extremely dry patches of skin and in an uneven color application, so I tried applying about two dots of All About Eyes on each cheek, letting it soak in for about 3-4 minutes, and when it looked like it had absorbed, I would apply my blush and voila, no more patchiness!! Now an important tip on using this product as a primer is to let it soak into the skin before applying makeup, otherwise the product slips around and won't be deposited onto your skin. That's especially true for cream products being used on top of the eye cream.


Regarding the product's claims to brighten dark circles and get rid of puffiness, I haven't noticed a significant difference, and that may actually be because I haven't used it consistently as an under eye cream but what I can say is that if my dark circles aren't particulary bad that day, once I apply it under my eyes (without any concealer), there seems to be a slight highlighted effect. This could be because the eye cream has so many hydrating properties that it gives quite a dewy look - similar to when a dewy foundation, without any light reflecting particles, illuminates high planes of the face. I plan on buying a full sized product soon and using it more consistently, and since I have extremely bad dark circles, I'll be able to review whether the product actually lives up to its' claims. For now though, I am loving this product for how silky it makes my skin feel as well as how well it works as a primer. Below are some close up shots of the actual product and hope you've enjoyed reading my review of Clinique's All About Eyes!


No comments:

Post a Comment